Growing our own herbs at home is always a good idea to get fresh and most flavourful herbs that could make our everyday dishes from good to great.
Here are 5-top tips for harvesting any herbs.
- Herbs should be harvested early in the morning when the morning dew has evaporated but before the sun heats up. Herbs picked in the morning are more aromatic and flavourful.
- Use the ‘cut and come again’ method to get harvest all season long. Simply cut above the first lower two sets of mature leaves, just above a leaf node (the point from where the leaves emerge) which will encourage bushier growth and can stimulate new leaves production. Cut only ⅔ part of the plant and leave ⅓ of the foliage to regrow for the next harvest.
- Be gentle while harvesting herbs to avoid bruising your priceless harvest.
- Harvest the plants regularly. If you do not do this, they will start flowering which changes their flavor, and also stop producing those tasty leaves.
- If your herbs start producing flower buds, just pinch off any buds before they bloom.
Let us know if you’ve any other tips, we’d love to hear it! Happy harvesting!!